- Jimmy 2 Story 4
- Use 2 toy shovels to “dig out” beach items. Video
+ Megumi K2K3 Long (Helicopter, Airplane)
Opening / Circle time
- phonics exercise
- New Alphabet Starters
- there are 4 pages for a unit. Eg this is B for this week
- p.2 of A, quick color (say /a-a/ apple). When class reaches pre-reading level: T write the word on board and have S find and circle in their book.
- check HW of A
- p.1 of B, quick color + say B /b/ ball
- give homework: p.3 small kid, p.4 big kids
- Megumi: break time
- Jimmy’s Magic House 1 (including phonics)
- explain homework
- coins / passport / give homework
- clean up
The following skills can be used with other textbooks as well.
Magic House Specific Topics
Book / unit specific videos are in the official lesson plans.
Scott Crowe is the author of Magic House series (Jimmy / Sam/ Jack& Jill ‘s Magic House, Ted’s Magic Pad). He is also an owner of 15+ schools in Osaka area.
His teaching method is especially effective on naturally promote the output of the language, making S want to speak up.
These training videos are part of a paid online course so make sure you do NOT share these videos outside KEYS.
Teaching kids with zero experience
- (Videos missing in the follow list are not important)
- Day 2 Video 2: colors, “it’s”, speak alien
- Day 2 Video 3: nouns that are emotionally engaging
- Day 3 Video 1: verbs
- Day 3 Video 3: verbs with context
- you will receive an email invite to your timelog on Google Drive
- this file is private between you and finance, no other co-workers will be able to view it
- input every time after your class / meeting / admin
- always wait for the file to finish loading completely, or the formulas will not work
- Beginning of month (every 21st)
- start a new tab. eg from Jan 21st you should use the Feb tab
- input the month on top
- If you are T, only input at T and leave A blank.
- input length of the class at T or A. Every 1hr10m -1hr20m class you will be paid for 1.5 hrs, every 40-50min class you will be paid for 1hr
- input in minutes
- must state details of the task
- can have multiple entries a day, eg “name badge making for 10m, flashcard writing for 10m”
- input actual cost, round-trip for a day from home to classroom, or from classroom to classroom
- max 1000yen a day
- reason: class, meeting, etc
- meeting / training
- CT = company training = training on topics specific to working at KEYS. All are paid, plus transportation.
- ST = skills training = general teaching skill training. Paid for experienced teachers, unpaid for new teachers, please check your contract.
- Patty cash
- all the money that you have spent for the company this month, eg items from 100yen shop. Always ask before buying.
- sponsorship on outside training (approval needed). eg if the training is 2000yen and you are pre-approved for sponsorship of half of the fee, add 1000yen to your patty cash
- put all invoices in an envelop with your name and the month, pass it or post it to Doris at the end of the month
- always input it online, if you download it and input, nothing will be recorded in the system
- you can download the file for record after cut-off day
- do not type on the 0 areas, where the formulas are at
- to continue the formulas on the next cell: click the last cell with the formula > click on the small square on the bottom right of the cell > drag it down to as far as you like
- Our classes do no end with pure entertainment. Lessons are fun but not just fun. All games and activities are planned for specific target learning outcomes.
- Our classes are super intensive. Not one minute of the class is being wasted. Tasks that can be done at home (eg CD listening, book reading, video watching) are being sent home as homework instead of using up precious interactive time with teachers in class.
- We see English as a global language, more as a tool to communicate with the world. Therefore we embrace the different accents of the English language.
- We focus on communication rather than grammatical correctness. We achieve this by offering an open atmosphere where we encourage students to make mistakes.
- Teachers are close to the jp culture and we make use of the jp language making sure that students understand safety instructions and rules. Shy kids will also have a lower hurdle to participate.
- We put effort in not only knowing each kid’s level of English but also knowing each kid’s learning style and make use of different approaches
- We offer many different classes for every age, level and need.
- Kids are put together by their level not by their age using the Montessori method where stronger or older kids can help the weaker ones which will lead to build up their confidence and the weaker ones are more likely to ask their peers instead of the teacher. All in all we provide them a more natural atmosphere. Teachers know their kids well adjust their language / standards to individual kids.
- We offer outdoor classes where we try to use English in an everyday situation. Phrases and vocabulary will be more memorable by connecting those with the special situation they have experienced.
- We put a lot of effort in curriculum planning. We have shift most our textbooks into independent publishers, where we establish direct communication with the authors/ publishers, gaining insight into valuable advices and trainings.
- As an independent school we can easily change our curriculum according to our students’ need and are flexible in pace and depth
- We offer small classes where teachers can be close to each of our students. Class size is normally 1:8 (except Megumi, make-up kids not included).
- We believe in kids’ abilities. We encourage them to try and take up new challenges. Kids often surprise grown-ups of what they are able to do.
Proven results: compared to other schools, our students are on a higher level.
1. Before lesson
- Check for absent kids on Megumi Absence Response Sheet
- Check lesson material. Go through the flashcards and worksheets etc.
- Prep room. (get chairs, tables and lesson materials out of the storage room)
2. Picking up & returning of students
please read this post carefully
3. After ELE class
- Clean up room (have kids return chairs before end of class)
- Remind kids to go home directly and not play around in the school
What to do when there is a trial kid
- Short greeting when picking up the kid. (今日初めてだね。私は…先生です. etc）
Show S where to put bag
- Ask, where S wants to sit
- If kid is very shy stay a little closer to this kid
Teacher (after lesson):
- If kid came alone: T will go to kid and say that S has done a good job.
- If kid came with parent: go to parent and tell how S has done. Tell them that if they are interested in joining they would get an entry form next time or a PDF as mail attachment. Tell them if they have questions later they can always contact us/school via our homepage (mail or call)
Kid who join as 1st lesson
- T: Hand out the entry form (best: at the beginning of the lesson)
- During lesson: Watch S a little closer. Praise S for every little effort. Help S to join the lesson.
- If kid is very hesitant A can stay a little closer to the kid and help him/her to follow the lesson.
Kid who get a fever or sick in class
Hand over to class teacher. (usually the class teacher will hold kid back or let them pick up by parent)
Kid wet his pants in class
A: Take all of S belongings and hand S over to class teacher. (teacher has a set of second clothes downstairs). Don’t make S come back to lesson. (too much time has already passed that S will find it difficult to catch up.)
Open class for moms to view
- T: Do class as usual. (Give a short info about the flow. Like that changing activities are done in the 2nd half of the lesson time…)
- A: If there is a mom with baby offer her a seat. Otherwise no seats are offered as it will be very crowded and worse moms will start to chat and disturb the class. Make sure the room to the storage room is locked. (some moms will start to serve themselves)
kid got injured that we have to tell insurance
- Go to class teacher if possible with kid.
- Write down every detail about the incident. (exact time, where, how) and report to KEYS Office after class.
A: Check if there are Ss who always forget/don’t bring their lesson bag despite having them reminded about it. Write down their names and inform KEYS Office